Members of The Bachchao Project spoke at five different sessions at RightsCon held in Toronto, Canada from May 16 to 18, 2018.
- Chinmayi S K and Rohini Lakshané delivered a lightning talk entitled “Researching women’s lives and livelihoods in the time of sieges and shutdowns” on May 18. They also released the draft version of the research report “Of Sieges and Shutdowns” at the session. (One of the speakers, Nonibala Narengbam, Executive Director of IRDSO, Manipur was replaced by Rohini Lakshané as the former could not make it to the conference.) https://rightscon2018.sched.com/event/EHpg/lightning-talks-transformative-technology-in-a-changing-global-economy
- Rohini Lakshané was one of the speakers at the “Don’t say you don’t know. Learn concrete tools to provide meaningful help to victims of non-consensual pornography on the internet from the Global South” session held on May 18: https://rightscon2018.sched.com/event/EHlt/dont-say-you-dont-know-learn-concrete-tools-to-provide-meaningful-help-to-victims-of-non-consensual-pornography-on-the-internet-from-the-global-south
- Chinmayi S K showcased the Tech Policy Hackathon Methodology that she built as a contractor at Internews in 2017 at the demo room session “Tech Policy Hackathons: how to encourage policy advocates and technologists to collaborate on digital rights“. The session was held on May 16 https://rightscon2018.sched.com/event/Efyn/tech-policy-hackathons-how-to-encourage-policy-advocates-and-technologists-to-collaborate-on-digital-rights
- Chinmayi S K spoke in her capacity as a technologist and as a representative of Random Hacks of Kindness at the “A technologist, a policy wonk, and an Internet freedom advocate walk into a bar: Assessing how Internet Communities build bridges for human rights“. The session was held on May 18: https://rightscon2018.sched.com/event/EHnv/a-technologist-a-policy-wonk-and-an-internet-freedom-advocate-walk-into-a-bar-assessing-how-internet-communities-build-bridges-for-human-rights#
- Chinmayi S K spoke at the “Community Infrastructure for Activists: Security and Shut-down Circumvention” about things to think of while building Community Infrastructure for Activists. She also share lessons from Geeks Without Bounds efforts to build community Infrastructure at Standing Rock. The session was help on May 18: https://rightscon2018.sched.com/event/EHnp/community-infrastructure-for-activists-security-and-shut-down-circumvention